The relationship between the employer and the employer is as old as time, and the dynamics of this are constantly changing. However, although most (good) employees know their responsibilities, what are the employers responsibilities to their staff?
- Pay – As much as they may enjoy their job, it is doubtful that any of your staff are working for the fun of it! As an employer, it is your legal obligation to pay your workers at least the current National Minimum Wage. More information on this can be found on the official GOV UK website.
- Eligibility – It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure their staff have the suitable documents to prove they are eligible to work in the UK.
- Working Time Directive – Employers must give employees entitlement to take paid annual leave. However, the amount of leave depends on the hours worked and contract type, amongst other factors. Employers must also allow paid time off for antenatal appointments, and maternity and paternity leave.
- Checks – Some sectors (such as financial services), or any businesses that work with children or vulnerable adults will require the full vetting and screening of their employees.
- Insurance – full Employers Liability insurance is essential, as well as providing a working environment that “protects health, safety and welfare of their employees”. More information on this can be found from the Health and Safety Executive.
- Contracts – One of the main responsibilities of an employer is to provide their workers with full written details of their contract status, and the company terms and conditions. They should also be provided with payslips to indicate tax and NI contributions.
- HMRC – As an employer, you need to notify HMRC the details of any new member of staff.
- Pension – Employers are required to offer employees a pension by completing auto-enrolment. If an employee wants to “opt out”, they should also give their consent.
Once these essential employer responsibilities are in place, you can then start to think about providing other workplace essentials, such as a working phone and computer!